Back before Thanksgiving, I had mentioned the podcasts I was listening to at that given time. Since then, I’ve developed a few rules about the podcasts I listen to in order to make sure I’m getting a wider field of knowledge, and thus making sure I’m not listening to the same topics or bands.
My rules are:
- Only one podcast to a topic.
- Only one podcast from any one company. (For example, only one podcast from NPR.)
- I try to listen to at one show with a topic or host I disagree with.
- I don’t try to listen to podcasts with a very open political bias that’s a strong point of the show.
- If I have no podcasts with current episodes to listen to, I allow myself to add a new one.
- But, I’m also allowed to waive any of those rules…you guessed it…one time.
Notice how the number “one” keeps coming up? Hmmm.
And so, my current list looks like this:
- 6:05 Superpodcast (comes out every 10 days or so, but the host, Brian Last, puts out exceptional work, so worth the added wait)
- The Jim Cornette Experience (yep, used my “waiver” on classic wrestling, a lot more fun then than it is now…)
- The Big Listen (NPR’s podcast about other podcasts with the fun and snarky Lauren Ober)
- Lionel Nation
- Dead Fantasy (The Johnny Cash podcast stopped putting out new episodes sometime in July)
- Five Hundy By Midnight
- Three Moves Ahead
- Common Sense With Dan Carlin
- Freakonomics Radio
- Gambler’s Book Club (sporadically does podcasts, but puts out good stuff when they’re on)
- Penn’s Sunday School
- Brain Samich
- Flash Forward
- This Week In Tech (I still think Leo Laporte is an ass, but you gotta keep up with current technology somehow)
- The Minimalist
This list will get refined over time with my tastes, but it’s a good starting point as 2017 dawns.