I had this thought on Facebook yesterday when I was reminded that one of the star players for the Green Bay Packers is named Ha-Ha Clinton Dix:
Just thinking off the top of my head, here are some of the greatest funny names in the world of sports that I’ve heard, and this is adult-ish at times, or at least PG-13 ish.
- The aforementioned Fair Hooker, who played for the Cleveland Browns from 1969-1974.
- Van Lingle Mungo, a pitcher for mainly the Brooklyn Dodgers in the 30’s and 40’s.
- Johnny Dickshot, who played for the Giants, Pirates, and White Sox in the same era as Mungo. Yep, that was his name.
- Junior Ah You, a pro football defensive end in mainly the CFL and USFL. His nephew C.J. Ah You played in the NFL, also as a defensive end, for the mostly the St. Louis Rams after being drafted by the Buffalo Bills.
- Heinie Manush played for five MLB teams over 17 seasons as a left fielder, most notably for the Detroit Tigers, where he won the 1926 AL batting title.
- Young Joseph’s Nipper was an early 20th century flyweight out of England. He never held a major title, but had 129 fights in a seven year career from 1909 to 1916.
And if you really want to go out on a limb and included wrestlers, I’d have to add to the list:
- Big Dick Dudley (real name: Alex Rizzo), who was part of the odd set of the Dudley Brothers that included the Dudley Boyz tag team that won championships in the WWE, ECW, and TNA in the past couple of decades.
Like I said, it’s just my list. I’m probably forgetting some of the odd-named athletes out there, but you’re welcome to remind me.